Tuesday, June 29, 2010

What I've been doing with Uwezo

I am doing my internship with Uwezo, one of Twaweza's partner programs, which administers a large scale, household-based assessment of basic literacy and numeracy skills in East Africa. Part of my job has been to work on Uwezo's communications materials. These include updating the website's content (www.uwezo.net), creating a powerpoint and flier to explain Uwezo, and writing an op-ed based on assessment results. In addition to creating content, I've also had an opportunity to think strategically about what would be meaningful ways of communicating about Uwezo's theory of change and the assessment results. I'm also helping prepare for a quarterly meeting, assisting with the process of completing annual plans, budgets, and reports. This has been an opportunity for me to catch a glimpse of the behind the scenes operations work that goes into running an NGO.

In August, I'll have the opportunity to travel to a village in Uganda to conduct fieldwork. The purpose of the fieldwork is to explore how people in the village felt about Uwezo's assessment, and how they responded to the feedback about their children's learning. As a former elementary school teacher turned public policy student, I'm particularly interested in seeing how ordinary people view education. This is an exciting chance for me to observe, ask questions, and hopefully make some worthwhile observations that I can share with Uwezo and Twaweza.

No comments:

Post a Comment